Tuesday, March 2, 2010

"Abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep" [1]

I haven't carried this approach into fruition in every aspect of my life, but have found it helpful in two cases so far. The approach is to only take things on as you find you are capable of doing them and be certain to feel ready to do them again before doing so. With the way our society currently is this might require great independence, will, and possibly creativity. I think this echoes and might be part of the spirit of these words:

"Recite ye the verses of God every morn and
eventide. Whoso faileth to recite them hath not been
faithful to the Covenant of God and His Testament,
and whoso turneth away from these holy verses in this
Day is of those who throughout eternity have turned
away from God. Fear ye God, O My servants, one and
all. Pride not yourselves on much reading of the verses
or on a multitude of pious acts by night and day; for
were a man to read a single verse with joy and radiance
it would be better for him than to read with lassitude
all the Holy Books of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.
Read ye the sacred verses in such measure
that ye be not overcome by languor and despondency.
Lay not upon your souls that which will weary them
and weigh them down, but rather what will lighten
and uplift them, so that they may soar on the wings of
the Divine verses towards the Dawning-place of His
manifest signs; this will draw you nearer to God, did ye
but comprehend." [2]

"If it be Thy pleasure, make me to grow as a tender herb in the meadows of Thy grace, that the gentle winds of Thy will may stir me up and bend me into conformity with Thy pleasure, in such wise that my movement and my stillness may be wholly directed by Thee." [3]

The two cases were when I was first starting to move out of homelessness into working (my mother didn't work and my father only did sporadically and without sustaining it, so I didn't learn that principle while growing up.) After being fired from a full-time job after having a break-down I, after recuperating some sense of capability, got a part time job that allowed me to spiritually recuperate, even though I wasn't conscious of it, most likely through the praying, reciting of the verses, reading, and studying I was doing, and was able to sustain that job until being laid off six months later. Towards the end of that period I became strangely aware that I simply had to work: that it was a requirement, and got a full-time seasonal job afterwards, which was similar to the one I had been fired from before but which I left with a good reference.

The more recent case was being better able to progress by taking only one college course during a term. I started this term trying to take two, but dropped out of one because I wasn't able to keep up. Since then, though, I have had enough free time and haven't felt pressured or beat by deadlines to get my classes done. As a result of this, I have been able to do the homework for my one remaining class twice as quickly because, for the same reasons as above, the capacity to study for me is a new way of thinking. I feel much happier, which I think is reflected by these quotes too:

"[...] criticism, which stunts the growth and development of the community" [4], "Whatsoever passeth beyond the limits of moderation will cease to exert a beneficial influence." [5], and "The sea of joy yearneth to attain your presence, for every good thing hath been created for you, and will, according to the needs of the times, be revealed unto you." [6]

-

[1] Bahá'u'lláh, The Persian Hidden Words, # 43

[2] Bahá'u'lláh, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 73

[3] Bahá'u'lláh, Prayers and Meditations by Bahá'u'lláh, p. 240

[4] The Universal House of Justice, Compilations, Unlocking the Power of Action

[5] Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 216

[6] Baha'u'llah, qtd. by Shoghi Effendi, The Advent of Divine Justice, p. 82

No comments:

Post a Comment